Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wonton Part 2

If you still remember my recipe for Shanghai wonton, to all vegan and vegetarians: THIS WILL BE YOUR FAVORITE POST

My roomate's boyfriend, a vegan, moved in and my roomate has turned vegan as well. Therefore, in order to let her try my delicious traditional homemade food, here is the tofu wonton.

At home, my mom add dried shrimps (蝦米仔) to this, but I am not a big fan of it and this will not fit into our healthy vegetarian wonton either. But if you want to add it, you are welcome to.


Ingredients:

1 block Firm tofu
7-10 dried mushrooms
Dried Radish
Salt
Soy Sauce
Seasame oil



First cut the tofu into big chunk and throw them into a cotton bag. (I used the ones for my fish soup, recipes for this will be up soon)
Squeeze out all of the water and make them into crumbs.
Soak the mushrooms till they are soft and cut them into tiny pieces.
Do not add in too many radishes and mushrooms, the strong flavors will cover up the soy flavor of the tofu.
Dice a piece of dried radish. It should be about the same amount as the mushrooms.
Add a pinch of salt and a little soy sauce. The most important, similar to the meat wonton, is sesame oil. This is the key for the juice of the wonton. Add a two tablespoons of sesame oil and mix all of the ingredients together. The good thing about the tofu wonton is that you can taste the ingredients before you cook them. Wrap the wontons in the store bought wrapper and cook till they float.

Put them in the freezer if you could not finish them. I will recommend you cook them all first then freeze them because the wrapper will not crack or stick to the pan. You can also pan fry them and dip them in chilli oil! (my personal favorite)

Now if you want wonton, there is a vegetarian option for you. ENJOY!






No comments:

Post a Comment